Sunday, June 27, 2010

Just around the corner


In the seven months that we've lived in our new neighborhood, there's one sight I've grown fond of. It's a little wooden bench just around the corner, halfway down the block, and its plain block letters -- PLEASE BE SEATED -- beckon you to take a break from your day.

Otto and I pass by it often on our walks around the block, and the coolest thing is you never know what you'll come across.

One morning last week, there were three books, a piece of fabric, three little jars and a grocery bag full of ... I don't know what. Other times, I've seen sweaters, shoes and various food items -- a package of whole wheat hamburger buns, fresh and canned vegetables and more. I've seen parts of old phones and appliances, magazines and children's toys.

Never have I seen anyone actually sitting on the bench, nor placing an item on the bench or taking from it. But the fact that someone -- and I'm presuming it's more than just one person -- takes the time to put things out that might be of value to the less fortunate in our part of town can't help but restore your faith in people's goodness.

Come to think of it, I don't know why I haven't donated a few things to this bench of goodwill. (Sounds like I've just given myself something to add to my to-do list.)

The funny thing is, this bench is right in front of the house owned and occupied by a local elected official who is a typical Portland liberal, with a soft spot for bicycles and all that goes along with the city's green/sustainable/creative culture.

He's been in the house quite a long time, and the waist-high picket fence in his front yard, with peeling white paint, suggests that yard maintenance is not a priority. Some readers of this blog may remember a couple of posts from last year, when I wrote about Olivia, the stuffed piglet with the bright red dress and lopsided grin, who went missing shortly after we moved into our new place, only to appear one day on the neighbor's picket fence. Yes, this picket fence, just a few feet away from the bench.

We never found Olivia, but I have to think she's in a good home somewhere, maybe with someone who's helped themselves to some of the bench's bounty.

No comments:

Post a Comment