Friday, October 22, 2010

Learning from 'No'

Jennifer West
Reader alert: This is longer than my usual posts, but it carries a lot of meaning for me and a great life lesson about constructive criticism and perseverance. I hope you'll stick with it...

An e-mail arrived in my in box at work the other day, bearing a screen name I didn't immediately recognize. Curious, I opened it. A minute later, I was smiling at my computer screen, delighted at how things had turned out for a promising college student I'd met years ago at a National Association of Black Journalists convention. As The Oregonian's newsroom recruiter, I'd interviewed a number of students interested in landing a summer internship in Portland. Each year, hundreds would apply;  we could only choose about a dozen. With her permission, I'll let the writer of the recent e-mail take it from here...
 
*** 

Mr. Rede,
I met you back in 2003 at a NABJ Conference. For some reason a response that you sent to an e-mail from me [7] years ago, has been resending to my BlackBerry every day for the past two weeks. I get the same e-mail everyday as a new message. It's very strange but surprisingly refreshing considering that I had all but forgotten that poignant interaction.

Either way I felt inclined to respond. When I got a chance to re-read our e-mail thread, I was reminded of how much you helped me as a young college grad. Not by giving me an internship/job at The Oregonian but by being honest with me and offering thoughtful criticism and insight. I paid attention to the things you said and used that to move forward during a particularly bleak time. For that, I'm really appreciative!

Shortly after meeting you, I did land a job a daily in the burbs of Philadelphia as an education/general assignment reporter, opting to change tracks after two years.  I now find myself, settled in a communications career, writing and editing at Northwestern Law School. The help of people along the way, like you, who gave it to me straight and took time and effort in your recruiting really proved to be helpful.

I hope this e-mail finds you well. Thanks again!

Jennifer R. West

*** 
She attached my original e-mail here...

From: George Rede
To: [Jennifer West]
Subject: Re: Thank You Mr. Rede
Sent: Aug 11, 2003 7:35 PM

Dear Jennifer,

Most recruiters will tell you it's a great feeling to be able to offer an internship or a job to a deserving young person. I have to admit it's true.

But every once in a while there comes along a person with not much experience but a lot of heart and integrity. Someone who could be easily [falsely] encouraged but instead realizes what the challenge is and vows to work hard to get taken seriously.

So it's with all humility that I write to say thank you for your lovely words and to wish you the best in refocusing your energies and short-term goals. Your e-mail made my day, Jennifer. I, too, hope you'll be able to demonstrate some real growth next summer at the Unity convention.

Sincerely,

George Rede

*** 
Likewise, she provided her initial post-interview note...

<<< Jennifer West  08/11/03 11:50AM >>>
Mr. Rede,
My name is Jennifer West and I met you at the NABJ convention at The Oregonian's recruiting booth. I originally went to your booth with high, somewhat unrealistic, hopes. After meeting with you I was a bit discouraged, but looking back in retrospect I'm grateful for your help.

You told me everything that I did not want to hear but needed to know in order to be successful in this competitive business. Your insight has given me incentive and drive to correct the things you mentioned about my clips and internship experience. Although at first I was upset, I came to understand that unlike the other recruiters who most likely just smiled and tossed my work aside, you gave me the necessary feedback that will help me in years to come.

So although I may not be quite ready for The Oregonian or other large papers, you helped me to see what it is I need to work on and where I need to start. I really appreciate your help. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to see you next year at the convention under better circumstances. Thanks again!

Jennifer R. West

*** 
Seeing what I wrote then prompted this response from me...

Dear Jennifer,

I have no idea why you're getting my old response, but -- wow -- your e-mail made my day, just as it did seven years ago.

I remember meeting you and being so impressed by the quality of your character. This follow-up only reinforces that impression. In these turbulent times for journalists, I'm not surprised to learn you changed tracks from reporting to communications. But neither am I surprised. I am delighted to learn you're at such a prestigious school and, evidently, quite happy with your situation. And being in the Chicago area has got to be a plus...

I've gone through a bit of a change myself. In 2007, when things got pretty rough throughout the industry and it became apparent we wouldn't be doing much hiring in the coming years, I chose to look within The Oregonian for another opportunity. The Sunday Opinion editor job came open, I applied and got it. Next to recruiting, it's been the most fun and most fulfilling job I've had in my 25 years here at the newspaper. Planning and editing a weekly section that revolves around public policy issues, and which allows me to publish different viewpoints and perspectives, is both stimulating and challenging.

I will always look upon the 10 years I spent as a newsroom recruiter with great fondness, and I will always treasure the connections I made with people like you, Jennifer. Thank you so much for writing...
 
Very best wishes,
George

*** 
And the last word goes to Jennifer...

Mr. Rede,
Yes, it's really odd! But I must say that this has been really refreshing! I'm of the thought that nothing happens by accident. If nothing else it reminded of the important conversation that I'd all but forgotten about.

I'm so glad that you've found your place in The Oregonian newsroom. It's been such a strange time where many have been displaced or let go. So the chance to continue in newspapers doing something you enjoy, is great! I look at it as seasons. Your season as a recruiter was beneficial personally and for so many young grads. Not everyone has been so fortunate across the professional board, myself included!

The road to Northwestern Law has been a long, strange one but I'm pleased with where I am now. I moved to Chicago after leaving the Bucks County Courier Times in 2006. My decision to leave was based more on the fact that while newspapers weren't in total turmoil yet, I could see the writing on the wall: shorter copy to make space for ads, reduced creative reign in writing etc., extended hours and cutbacks. I moved to Chicago to take a job a boutique public relations firm as a writer. It was short-lived, very short-lived, and an interesting experience to say the least. After working in communications for the Chicago School of Professional Psychology, The American Medical Association and many odd jobs in between (dog walker, receptionist for an apt finding company etc.), I'm content with where I am now!

At Northwestern, I'm writing and editing copy for the Law School website, writing for the alumni magazine and newsletters and writing speeches and remarks for the Dean of the Law School. It's certainly not what I painted for myself when I decided to leave newspapers. Although I can't say what exactly I foresaw for myself.

Either way every disappointment I've had and job I've lost or gained over these 7 years has brought me to this point. Which is why our interaction resonated with me so much. I think my meeting with you was my first of someone telling me "no" albeit in a constructive way. I think my generation of kids possesses a sense of entitlement. We want what we want and we want it now, just because that's what we believe to be owed. We're told you can have or do whatever we want but no one tells us that it's a process of setbacks and disappointments that can ultimately serve you better in the long run and builds character.  Life has shown me that things aren't always an instant yes. But what's more important is I've learned that that's ok, if not for the better!

Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment