Sunday, November 21, 2010

Br-r-r-isk

For the last few days, the local media have ramped up for what promises to be the coldest stretch of weather so far in 2010. People are out buying studded tires and chains; the mayor is doing weekend press conferences to warn us to be careful; and the Portland TV crews are on high alert, just waiting for those snowflakes to fall.

Me? I went out for a run before the weather had a chance to turn nasty.

The morning started out sunny and clear, the kind of day that lulls you into thinking it's warmer than it is. But when you step outside, it's frosty and there's a definite nip in the air.

I managed to time it just right today when I left the condo just before noon, headed for the Pearl District -- via the Broadway Bridge and Lovejoy Street ramp -- and Naito Parkway, then back over the Steel Bridge to Lloyd Center and home. As I motored along, enjoying the solitary experience and the brisk conditions, I was glad I'd taken the time to rummage through a box of winter clothing. Today was the first time this season I'd had to put on gloves, hat and running tights.

Adding to the pleasure: No issues today with discourteous drivers.

Photo: www.thearchipelago.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment