Sunday, January 16, 2011

Life is good

Nathan at Tasty n Sons
Every once in a while, I pause to realize how much I have to appreciate in life. Today is one of those days.

I think it may have to do with the fact that I've been batching it this weekend. Lori flew down to San Francisco early Friday for annual gathering of her childhood friends, followed by a reunion of cousins on her dad's side. The old saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder applies in this case. I think it's healthy for each partner in a marriage to be able to get away like that, free from the routine of home and all that is familiar. She returns late tonight and it will be wonderful to see her again.

Burmese Red Pork Stew with short grain rice & eggs 
I went to a late breakfast today with Nathan. It was another one of those father-son dates where there are no distractions -- just full-on attention for each other while sharing a wonderfully delicious meal. After plowing through two large plates and three small ones at Tasty n Sons on North Williams Avenue, I understand what all the buzz is about. It's shot to my Top 3 list of breakfast joints in Portland. More important, it's great to hear of another job promotion and pay raise for Nathan -- this time at Holocene, where he works as a dance club doorman -- and his happiness with girlfriend Sara.

Meanwhile, I've been texting and talking with Simone to help her polish her resume and application essay for a summer fellowship that would allow her to stay in Pittsburgh for the summer. I appreciate the trust she continues to place in me as someone who can offer a critical eye in a constructive way. She's an amazing young woman, if I don't say so myself.

Also talked to my dad, who's 84 and living in Silver City, New Mexico, not far from the Mexican border. He recently had an accident where he lost his footing and fell getting out of his truck. He was checked out thoroughly at the local hospital and came out of it with nothing more than bumps, bruises, scrapes and skinned knees. Good to hear he's recovering well. Hope to visit him this year.

I passed on trying to get together a poker game this weekend so I could catch up on household chores, the NFL playoffs (Go Steelers! Go Packers!) and more music downloads (everything from '80s R&B to Bruno Mars). I'm heading out now on a long walk with Otto between rainstorms.

Life is good.

P.S. Almost forgot...Today's father-son time had extra meaning because it was a birthday treat. Nathan gave me a "certificate" last month that was good for a one-on-one breakfast anytime. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment