Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Meaning of Life

I look forward every year to a special issue of Esquire that features "What I've Learned" Q&As with a variety of accomplished people sharing their collective wisdom and advice. In his editor's note to the January 2011 issue, David Granger says he was "overcome with a delicious sense of anticipation" when he saw the list of those interviewed: Albert Brooks, James L. Brooks, Ted Danson, Danny DeVito, Robert Duvall, Jodie Foster, Robert Redford, Robert DeNiro, etc., all asked to pontificate on The Meaning of Life.

But after reading this year's offerings, I've gotta say I'm disappointed.

Disappointed with the lack of variety:
-- 13 men,* 5 women. (OK, it is a men's magazine. I get that.)
-- Five people in their 40s, five in their 60s, five in their 70s, three in their 80s. (They couldn't find anyone in their 30s or 50s?)
-- Nine actors. Two actor/directors. Two screenwriters. Which leaves one "sex expert" (Dr. Ruth); one "artist" (Yoko "Oh, no" Ono); one celebrity chef (Ferran Adria), who comes off as the most pompous ass in the whole group; and one political pair (George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush), who are actually among the most interesting. (13 of the 18 people connected to Hollywood? Give me a break.)

Mostly, I'm disappointed with the shallowness of thought and the self-absorption that come through in too many of the interviews. I'll spare you the details. Thank goodness for one good interview with actress Mary-Louise Parker ("It takes much more skill to write something thoughtful than to just be mean.")

What saved this issue for me was the wisdom of John Wooden, the legendary UCLA basketball coach and one of five past interviewees highlighted in memoriam. Excerpts from his February 2000 interview:
You can do more good by being good than any other way.
Be more concerned with your character than your reputation.
If I am through learning, I am through.
Don't let making a living prevent you from making a life.
I had three rules for my players: No profanity. Don't criticize a teammate. Never be late.

* OK. Actually, there were 14 men...if you count the back-page interview with Jesus H. Christ.
"It's just H. It doesn't stand for anything. Ulysses S. Grant was the same way."
"Incidentally, when I'm having a hard time, I say, 'Ulysses S. Grant!' I'm kidding, of course."

Now that is funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment