Saturday, January 22, 2011

My favorite conservative

For the past two years, I've enjoyed a great professional and personal relationship with Elizabeth Hovde, a self-styled "just right of center" opinion columnist for The Oregonian. She works from home, writing a column on politics and current events for the Sunday newspaper and also blogs during the week.

I've teased her about being a human Swiss army watch because she is so reliable in terms of filing on time and at the desired column length. We share an affinity for the Northwest. We swap stories about parenthood (she and her husband have two young boys, whereas Lori and I have three adult children). We chat about movies, music and books and, through editing her column, I find myself questioning my beliefs and assumptions about religion and moral issues. And on those occasions where we agree -- such as her support of the Dream Act -- well, let's just say it's been nice to wind up on the same side of an issue.

Just before the year came to an end, I joined Elizabeth and a fellow editor for a drink after work. It was nice to see her so relaxed, chatting happily with fellow journalists and poking fun at herself in a self-deprecating way.

With the newsroom changes that took effect this year, I'm focused on getting a handle on my new job and no longer am working with Elizabeth. So I was nearly speechless when I learned that she had been seriously injured in a skiing accident last week. We posted a short news item about her on The Oregonian's Opinion blog on Friday and, much to my pleasant surprise, commenters posted nothing but good wishes for her.

Out of respect for her privacy, I won't share any details of the accident other than to say it will likely take weeks and months to recover. I'm still trying to process the idea that vivacious Elizabeth -- who wrote movingly about her dying dad last Father's Day and then had to bear his loss a few months later -- is the one who is in a hospital bed. Life can be so unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment