Tuesday, May 24, 2011

W is for Lucinda Williams

Count me among those who've jumped on the Lucinda Williams bandwagon in recent years.

Though she's been recording music since 1978, I didn't become aware of this talented lady until nearly 20 years later. To me, she's the closest thing we have to a female Bob Dylan. By that, I mean she's a superb songwriter, a good but not great musician, and her vocals run the gamut of raw to scratchy to oh-so-delicate.

Born and raised in Louisiana, she's an American original who plays it all: rock, folk, country and blues. In fact, she's on the bill July 2 at this year's Waterfront Blues Festival in Portland.

She's a multiple Grammy Award winner, a prolific recording artist (11 CDS so far) and someone who clearly cares more about the integrity of her music than the glitz that often goes with performing.

Her lyrics are nothing if not honest and heartfelt. Consider this excerpt from "Overtime":


Your blue eyes, your black eyelashes
The way you looked at life
In your funny way
I guess out of the blue
You won't cross my mind
And I'll get over you
Overtime

Your pale skin, your sexy crooked teeth

The trouble you'd get in
In your clumsy way
I guess one afternoon
You won't cross my mind
And I'll get over you
Overtime


A sample of her range:
"Essence"
"Real Love"
"Still I Long For Your Kiss"
"Overtime"

No comments:

Post a Comment