Sunday, May 10, 2009

From the classroom to publication

I can't claim a shred of credit for this, but I can say I'm awfully proud.

Proud of Jennifer Knutson, whose op-ed --"Facing the recession: Picking up, start anew? No can do" -- was published online Saturday and in print Sunday.

Proud because Jennifer was a student in the weekend seminar -- Opinion and the Blogosphere -- that I taught recently at Portland State University. Check the March archives on this site for more...

Not only did she contribute greatly to class discussions, but she wrote a wonderful opinion piece for her final exam (a different one from the one cited above). I praised it as being worthy of publication and encouraged her to keep The Oregonian in mind if she were to pitch another piece. She did just that.

From an instructor's standpoint, it's great to see a student demonstrate initiative and follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment