Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The power of a pickle

As Christmas Day approaches and a battery of economic indicators point toward an agonizingly slow recovery, here's a story of hope at the holidays: "A nation in need of a Yodeling Pickle."

Written by my friend and former colleague, Spencer Heinz, the piece ran two Sundays ago in The Oregonian. In it, Spencer told the story of a Portland couple who own a joke and novelty shop and how, with help from loyal customers, they're trying to stay in business in these very tough times. You'd think it would be difficult since their store offers the ultimate in discretionary items -- fake spiders, toy eyeballs, pretend vomit ... even a battery-operated Yodeling Pickle.

I posted a followup on the Opinion blog a few days later, summarizing the public's response to these merchants. But that was trumped yesterday by the email (dated Dec. 19) I received from Spencer.

***

Hi,

I just wanted to make sure you knew how much your story helped that store, Bazaar of the Bizarre. I went in there a few days before the story came out, to spend $10 on gifts for an 8 years old’s birthday party. I was the only customer in the store (someone else was keeping warm and waiting for their ride). When I put my $10.50 down, the owner acted surprised, like it was a large transaction. Maybe it was the first or only of the day.

Last Sunday when I saw the story and very nice picture, I posted the link to the neighborhood association (Montavilla) email list, with some of my comments about being a several-time customer of the store, yesterday’s pricing, “something for everyone” and that it contributes to the character of Glisan St.

Today, Saturday, I went in there for a last minute gift exchange item around 11:30. There were maybe 20 people in the store. I asked Keith if he had any yodeling pickles left – I was just curious, didn’t want one. He pointed to a shelf behind me, across from the check-out counter. There seemed to be 8-10 on the top shelf. I asked if he sold a lot of them since the article. He said about 100. I asked if this is a typical Christmas crowd. Lynne said it’s 10 times the usual Christmas crowd, due to the article. By the time I was ready to check out, there were 8-10 people in line. I couldn’t believe it, I have never seen a line in that store. I even took pictures with my phone camera to give to the owners later. The owners were both taking customers and keeping the line moving, no time for their usual witty banter and demonstration of products. I don’t think they even looked up as people came in the front door.

The whole time I was standing in line I noticed there were no more pickles on that top shelf across from check out. I told Lloyd, after my 30 second transaction (had my exact change ready, no receipt needed, just to help them keep the line moving). He stood up and looked surprised. He told his wife they need to go stock more. I think he left her alone with the long line of customers while he went to the back room. There were more people in the store when I left than when I had arrived 20 minutes earlier. Almost all were middle aged, professional looking, serious about spending money there, and having a good time selecting their purchases. As I was leaving, more people were coming in the door and others were parking or getting out of their cars. I am not used to seeing so many cars parked in that block. There were 8-10 cars in one direction and maybe 3-4 in the previous block. I went to Gresham for about 2 hours and when I drove by the store on the way home, it was even more packed, like 25-30 people, 10 or so in line, parked cars for more than a block along the curb. I hope the owners were able to take meal and bathroom breaks. They were taking a lot of phone calls, too, sounded like people asking if they’re open today and maybe how late.

Good job on the article. It was fun and interesting to read. Obviously, people from outside of the immediate neighborhood came over to patronize the business, as a result of your article. One man told me he lives near Fremont and didn’t know about this store until he read the article. His arms were loaded with purchases. He said it’s been so long since he’s seen many of these items and it makes him nostalgic.

Maria

***

Is there a lesson here? You bet. Shop local. Patronize independently owned small businesses in your neighborhood. If they thrive, so do we.


Photo of Lynne and Keith Hetrick by Spencer Heinz

No comments:

Post a Comment