Friday, December 25, 2009

Season of Sharing 2009

It's getting to be late afternoon on Christmas Day. After a late-morning breakfast with Lori, Simone, Kyndall and Nathan, and opening of gifts, I took a short nap, then got up and ran a little over four miles in the brilliant sunshine -- a welcome surprise and a huge change from a year ago, when we had snow on the ground.

Now, as I sit down for a few minutes at the computer, knowing Christmas dinner is prepared and that all my loved ones are safe and sound and healthy, I know I am blessed.

And so my thoughts turn to those who are less fortunate. Specifically, the families and individuals profiled in this year's Season of Sharing Wishbook. Every year, The Oregonian writes about such people and nonprofit programs that assist them with a variety of social services.

If you're like me, your mailbox is inundated this time of year with appeals for tax-deductible donations. No doubt many of them are worthy. For my money, there's no better recipients than those profiled in the Wishbook. (I've helped select the cases and also served as editor of the Wishbook a couple times, so I know what goes into the annual holiday fundraiser. Hats off, btw, to my colleague Amy Wang, who served as editor for the third time this year.) All administrative costs are paid for by the Oregonian Publishing Co., so every dollar goes to these recipients. If you're in a position to give, please join me in doing so.

Photograph of Voycetta White, domestic violence survivor, by Ross William Hamilton of The Oregonian.

No comments:

Post a Comment