Monday, October 4, 2010

Baseball playoffs

The Major League Baseball season came to an end yesterday and it looks like the 2010 playoffs will be one of those years where I have only a mild interest in who wins.

My two favorite teams, the Tigers and the Athletics, faded from the playoff picture in July. Detroit had it going in the early season, but a slew of injuries slowed them down. Oakland made a modest run in September to catch Texas but fell short. They're still too young a team and lack enough hitting to make a serious run. Coincidentally, both teams finished with a record of 81 wins, 81 losses.

So, who to root for? I guess I'll throw in with the Giants. Though I'm from the Bay Area, I rooted for the Dodgers as a kid and then the A's as a teenager. Bottom line: Anyone but the Yankees.

Note: This year I managed to attend just one MLB game. It was early in the season when Nathan and I went up and saw the Mariners beat the Orioles in a battle of last-place teams. Baltimore finished with 96 losses, 30 games out of first place. Seattle was even worse, with 101 losses, 29 games out of first. Next year, I hope to see a game in Pittsburgh assuming we can get out to visit Simone and Kyndall. Yeah, they're a last-place team, too, but they're supposed to have a beautiful ballpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment