Sunday, December 26, 2010

Guilty pleasure



A few days ago, I was roaming around again on eMusic and iTunes. I'd always heard about Rhonda Vincent mentioned as probably the second-best blueglass fiddler and singer behind Alison Krauss. I spent some time on her web site and it didn't take long -- oh, maybe 30 seconds -- to see what all the buzz is about.

This video is several years old, I'm sure, but the simplicity of the song, the heartache of the lyrics and the instrumentation -- including dobro, fiddle and mandolin -- appeal to me in a way that I never would have even considered before. I still love R&B, blues and some pop. But, clearly, I've made room for country and a little bluegrass.

Turns out Rhonda Vincent and the Rage are coming to Portland in January for the annual River City Bluegrass Festival. It's highly doubtful I'll attend but at least now I'm better acquainted with her sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment