Friday, December 31, 2010

Lights out

NECC
Earlier this week, we signed up to become members of LA | Fitness. It was a long time coming but it made sense for a number of reasons.

Although Lori owns her own gym, there's limited time and space for her to work out, considering that she has two trainers, a yoga instructor and a massage therapist in there at different hours as subcontractors. As for me, I've kept my membership at the Northeast Community Center (the old YMCA) in our former neighborhood, out of loyalty and a fondness for the old-school vibe. It is, after all, the gym where our kids played Y basketball and indoor soccer and where I continue to swim two or three days a week and occasionally lift weights.

By joining LA | Fitness, we'll get a better deal (just a few dollars a month more for the two of us versus my dues at NECC) and it'll be just four blocks from our home, with expanded hours and newer facilities. Plus, we can go together from time to time.

I suppose it was inevitable that we'd make the switch. Two things happened this week that made me realize it was time:
-- After a swim on Monday, I went to the sauna, noticed the room was pitch black and flicked on the switch. Nothing. Just a deep voice from the darkness. "The light's out. You can come in." Uh, OK. "Where, exactly, are you? Top bench? Lower bench?"
-- Thursday, I got up earlier than usual and got to the pool about 6:10. Only other one swimmer was there, not yet in the pool, but then the lifeguard approached. "There's a water aerobics class starting in five minutes. It lasts till 7. You're welcome to stay." Uh, thanks, but no thanks. Not my thing.

Yeah, I should have known better about the schedule, but it was a reminder that I have to work around the times when the pool is not open to lap swim. That shouldn't be a concern at the new gym. Nor the lack of a light bulb in the men's sauna.

Heading out now to take Otto for a walk. Then off to the pool for the last swim of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment