Sunday, May 1, 2011

The first of May

It's a new month and I'm filled with optimism about several things:

-- Spring's arrival. Slept in until 8:30 and woke up to glorious sunshine. Heading into this weekend, we'd had rain 67 of the last 77 days in Portland. No wonder people were gloomy. Today feels like we've finally turned the corner toward warmer, drier days.

-- Life, lived simply: Took Otto on a long walk and appreciated anew some of the simple sights in our neighborhood: Someone's beautifully maintained bed of tulips. A young couple out for a morning run. A couple of graying boomers playing tennis. A yard sale bringing together the young and old. Nice to see the neighborhood coming alive.

-- My health: Went to the store to stock up on the various items I need to prepare for tomorrow's routine procedure: a colonoscopy. Been through it once before, so I know what to expect. Keeping my fingers crossed that there are no problems. And feeling fortunate to have affordable health insurance in these times.

-- Tuesdays, reclaimed: With the end of our bowling league season last week, I can look forward to four months of Tuesdays with no obligations. An extra weeknight will be a luxury for Lori and me. Knowing it's there in the bank makes it easier for me to think about starting another activity -- possibly drop-in volleyball on Wednesday nights. We'll have to see how the knees respond.

-- Work: Just completed four months in my new job as a community news web editor. At times there's been a gulf between what I expected to do and what I've actually done these first few months, but I realize it goes with the territory. Main thing is I feel comfortable in the web-first news environment and hope to have something splashy and tangible to show for my efforts as I work with others on the development of a network of independent bloggers that wound be linked to from OregonLive.com. More details to come in future posts.

-- My blog: I'm adding a new feature, the A to Z Music Month. See the post below for more details.

Photo: www.freepixels.com

No comments:

Post a Comment