Thursday, April 2, 2009

Otto: A new appreciation


Subdued isn't a word I'd normally associate with Otto. Our Jack Russell terrier is anything but.

It's clear, though, that his behavior has changed since he lost his big buddy, Max, this past weekend. Normally, he's jumping up to see me first thing in the morning, his stubby tail going 80 mph, and mouthing a chew bone or some other toy. Today, he stayed put on the pad we have for him in the kitchen and gave me the equivalent of a nod. At the moment, he's curled up in a ball on the floor, catching a little snooze.

It's not hard to tell what's going on. He's adjusting to the loss of not one but two companions as we transition to empty nesters. First, Jordan leaves for basic training. Then, a few days later, Max dies unexpectedly while we're on vacation.

Otto's always been something of an attention hog and a virtual extension of Lori, whom he's always regarded as his master, if not mother. Now, with Max gone, it's a different dynamic. I can see myself spending more time with Otto and appreciating his good qualities -- his intelligence, his playfulness -- as we all adjust to a quieter, less crowded house.

I suspect today's subdued behavior is nothing but an anomaly. Otto's a good little guy. He'll adjust -- and so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment