Monday, April 6, 2009

Sunshine, marijuana and a long home run


Twenty-five years ago in April, I was nearing the end of a fellowship at the University of Michigan and following the exploits of the red-hot Detroit Tigers. I made it to one game that spring before I had to return home to Salem, but the game -- and the Tigers' magical season -- remains fresh in my memory.

I had a seat in the centerfield bleachers on a gorgeous Saturday afternoon at historic Tiger Stadium as Detroit took on the California Angels. It was a great atmosphere, with marijuana smoke wafting over our section, and bare-chested fans cheering on the Tigers, who had gotten off to an amazing start en route to 104 wins and a World Series victory over the San Diego Padres. On that day, though, the Tigers lost as Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson smashed the longest home run I have ever seen -- a towering blast of some 600 feet that cleared the right field pavilion and landed on the street. Reggie hit it so hard that he just dropped the bat and watched the ball sail over the roof before beginning a slow trot around the bases.

The memories came to mind this morning as another season of Major League Baseball gets under way.

I'll be rooting again for the Tigers, who've become my second-favorite team. They had high expectations last year but a miserable last-place finish in their division. I don't expect miracles (they've only been back to the World Series once since that magical 1984 season), but I do hope they improve enough to make the playoffs. If all goes well, I'll go up to Seattle in a couple of weeks to see them play the Mariners.

My other team? The Oakland A's. I've followed them since they moved from Kansas City to the Bay Area when I was a boy. Seems I manage to see them once a year whenever I've back home visiting my mom. Maybe that'll happen again this year; if not, I can always see them in Seattle. The A's, too, had a disappointing season last year. I don't think they've got enough talent to make the playoffs this year, but one can always hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment