Monday, June 1, 2009

The first 92 days...

Presidents have their first 100 days and a State of the Union address by which to measure their progress.

Amateur bloggers like me have a different set of metrics:

Number of days on the Web: 92 (yay!), starting March 1.
Number of posts: 81 (yay!) as of yesterday, May 31.
Number of followers: 18 (yay!), including just two members of my immediate family.
Number of comments: 36. But in all fairness that tally includes comments I've made in response to others'.
Number of topics: 68. This is simply the number of labels (or tags) that I've assigned to the posts.
-- Most popular? Portland (15), The Oregonian (7), food (6), family (5), music (5) journalism (4). Hmmm, no surprises there. Come to think of it, that's a pretty good reflection of my interests as well as where I live.
-- Others? Blogosphere, education, environment, military, Orcas Island, running (3 each).
Number of other blogs I've inspired:
1 (yay!). Check out Lori's blog, health.wealth.happiness

Looking back on this modest body of work, I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the launch and the time I've made for this. Going back to my first post, Getting Started, it's neat to see how far I've come:

Why am I doing this?
It's about time...I'm going to teach a weekend seminar on "Opinion and the Blogosphere." Shouldn't I have a blog of my own?

How will I sustain it?
It's about getting started... Choose an image: dive in, dip your toes in the water, take the first step, just do it. So I'm doing it. What's the payoff? Just one guy on the Left Coast laying the first brick of what I hope will be good for the soul, good for the mind. Welcome, friends and new readers.

As before...Welcome, friends and new (and regular) readers. As always...please feel free to comment on anything you see on this blog, words or images. Like? Dislike? Agree? Disagree? Have a similar experience or story? That's what makes it especially worthwhile, seeing what resonates with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment