Wednesday, June 3, 2009

P.D.A. in the park

I can't let this day end without sharing something that made me smile...

So there I am, sitting on a park bench in Lownsdale Square, not far from this statue. I'm casually eating some takeout from the Saigon Express food cart (pad thai with tofu and curried vegetables) and watching the lunchtime crowd pass by.

You've got office workers with their Subway sandwiches or burgers; attorneys lugging their briefcases to or from the county courthouse on my left or the federal justice center on my right; young mothers pushing their kids in strollers; and the occasional homeless person pushing a cart full of returnable cans and bottles.

The sun is shining, I've got a book with me and I plan to read a few pages before heading back to work.

Then I notice some movement about 40 yards directly in front of me. There on the grass, under the shade of an elm tree, I see a guy lying on his back, his head resting on the stomach of another person, whose head of hair is all I can make out clearly because the person's feet are facing away from me. The guy sits up, does a half-turn and proceeds to lay his upper body on the person below and kiss the other person.

Is it a woman? A man? Does it matter? Do I care? Honestly? No. I'm thinking, "Good for you, dude." To show that Public Display of Affection in the middle of the day of a city park, no matter who's passing by or looking, is pretty cool.

Turns out his partner is a woman. Like him, she's pretty heavy-set, has short, mussed hair and is wearing a T-shirt and jeans. He's got just-woke-up brown hair, with a balding spot on the crown. I'm guessing they're both around 45. Who knows what brought them there... Jury duty? Doubt it. A court case? Hope not. Unemployed? Possibly.

He rolls off her and sits up. She reaches under his shirt with her right hand and rubs his shoulders. Again, I'm thinking, "Good for you, dudette." Showing your man some love.

I never did open my book. Headed back to the office, thinking that was as a sweet scene as I've seen in the movies.

I was going to post John Legend's "P.D.A (We Just Don't Care)" video here but embedding has been disabled. Click on the link and enjoy the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4R_oswROic

No comments:

Post a Comment