Saturday, March 5, 2011

Onward, Dina!

In January, I wrote about "My favorite conservative," Elizabeth Hovde, a contract writer whose weekly columns were a product of our collaboration during my time as editor of The Oregonian's Sunday Opinion section.

She did the heavy lifting as the reporter/writer. I was her sounding board for topics and approaches, and followed up with suggestions and tweaks during the line-editing process. It was a joy working with Elizabeth, an outgoing personality who threw herself into the roles of wife, mother (of two young boys) and journalist.

I wrote then about how shocked and sad I was to learn that she'd been seriously injured in a skiing accident on Mount Hood. I refrained from saying more at the time, but Elizabeth suffered a Traumatic Brain Injury that sent her to the hospital for two weeks and then to a rehab center for three weeks.

Word came recently that Elizabeth is back home and recovering well. That came as great news to the large community of supporters who have expressed their concern for her in prayer, visits, well wishes and donations to a fund set up to help defray her medical expenses. A Web site dedicated to keeping people informed about her injury and recovery had logged more than 8,000 visits as of this week and the medical fund took in more than $8,000 in just the first three weeks.

I always felt badly when I saw online commenters (invariably, Portland liberals) ripping into Elizabeth, leaving posts that were insulting and demeaning. If only they knew what a kind, big-hearted person she is. If only they'd stop to consider her values and political positions come from a place that's just as valid as theirs.

In late February, Dina (she uses her middle name, Elizabeth, in her byline) wrote a letter on the Caring Bridge  Web site to thank everyone who has showed support to her and her family. The excerpt below gives you an idea of Elizabeth's (er, Dina's) character:
"For being the source of bad news, I’m forever sorry. For your response to our bad news, I am forever grateful.

"...It is simply overwhelming to know that I needed so much help and that you were all there for me and my family. Like I said, I’m grateful – grateful for what Ryan and the kids survived, grateful for life, grateful for all the great friends I have. Whether you wrote a note or visited, your thoughts and kindness have gone a long way and I appreciate it more than I can adequately express. So thank you.... 

"So what does a brain trauma victim learn? Here goes for whatever it is worth:

"Take nothing for granted.

"You aren’t in control of your life as much as you think you are.

"Love people -- ya never know how much a person needs or how much you might need.

"Be grateful for your body. It is amazing.

"Prayer matters.

"I learned a lot more but that is the big stuff.

"Now I will get back to healing, but I couldn’t let more time pass without telling you how much you all mean to me. From people I went to elementary, middle, high school and college with, to people I know now, you have all played a role in where I am today.

"Thank you … and onward. I am full of gratitude and can’t wait to celebrate life with you."
Onward. That's how Dina Elizabeth signs off on all of her emails.

Onward, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment