Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pugs in tutus?

After work Friday I stepped out of my comfort zone. Thanks to the generosity of a friend, Lori and I were VIP guests at a fundraiser to benefit DoveLewis'  Pet Loss Support Program.

DoveLewis has a national reputation as leader in animal care, both as a provider of emergency and critical care for animals and as a place of support for people whose pets have died. This year marks the 25th year since the pet loss program began, so the organization took the opportunity to honor Enid Traisman, the woman who founded and still runs the program.

I've been to my share of fundraisers over the years. And, believe me, in Portland there's no shortage of opportunities to give your money to nonprofits that deserve all the support they can get: programs that help children learning to read, women who've survived domestic violence, families moving into affordable housing, just to mention a few.

But until Friday, I'd never found myself -- or, in my wildest dreams, imagined myself -- seated in the front row of a doggie fashion show, barely five feet from the runway and squinting into the bright lights illuminating the models and their four-legged companions.

Enid Traisman & friends
One by one they came out: pugs and pomeranians, labrador retrievers, terriers, chihuahuas, poodles and pit bulls, all wearing some kind of stylish fabric. There were tutus, vests, hats, sweaters, pants, skirts, dresses and paw-sized slippers.

One very calm cat came out on a model's shoulder. A young llama waltzed out with its owner and, Portland being Portland, someone tucked a chicken under her arm and took a turn on the runway. There were oohs, aahs, lots of chuckles and a moment when you didn't know whether to laugh or cry at a petrified pug that stopped dead in its tracks, its eyeballs bulging and refusing to move a single inch.

There was even an air of celebrity. Seth Aaron Henderson, the local fashion design rock star (he was the winner of "Project Runway" Season 7), was there, having designed one of the doggie fashion outfits.

Truthfully, I had my doubts about the whole event. I would have been happy to stay home that night to watch the Blazers on TV. But I've gotta say, it was very worthwhile. The food was delicious (can't go wrong with pulled pork sandwiches and red velvet cupcakes); Lori bid successfully on three items during the silent auction; and the money raised through ticket sales and the oral and silent auctions went to support a good cause.

In this pet-crazy town, I know there are thousands of people who pour their hearts into a relationship with their pets. We've certainly had our share: Max, Kema, Fred, Juneau, Bosco and Osita, among others. If we can help ease the loss for others, well, I suppose that's a good thing to do.

Photograph: DoveLewis

No comments:

Post a Comment