Friday, January 29, 2010

Winding down on a Friday night


I've written before about how much I enjoy Sunday mornings. To me, it's the most peaceful time on the most relaxing day of the week. I've already decompressed on Saturday and I can look ahead most times to a day of leisure and some quality time with Lori.

Friday nights are another matter. And, really, I don't know why it's taken me so long to acknowledge here in a post. But here goes...

As Sunday Opinion Editor at The Oregonian, my work week resembles the long climb of a roller coaster. Slow at the beginning of the week, then turning to a definite arc on Wednesday and Thursday and rising sharply on Friday to a peak at around 7 pm if I'm lucky or 8 pm if I'm not. (Tonight I left the office at 10, so I'll let you draw your own conclusion.)

Once I reach the top of the figurative roller coaster, then it's a sudden drop to the bottom, represented by a walk to the bus stop and ride home, followed by the process of unwinding with a late dinner and either a book or a little TV.

As I write now, I realize I'm missing Austin City Limits (no biggie -- can't say I'm a fan of Steve Earle or Kris Kristofferson) and also a little too full from that late dinner. It occurs to me that Friday night really does represent the end of the week to me, even though the calendar says it's Saturday. Everything comes together, must come together, on Friday for me to be successful at work and, therefore, for readers to find something interesting or unexpected or provocative online or in print, starting early Saturday, when the first of a dozen or blog posts begin appearing as scheduled throughout the day Saturday and Sunday.

I love my job, despite the long Fridays. I think it brings out the best in me, both the ability to have a broad vision and the discipline to attend to a thousand details. Invariably, something unforeseen pops up -- sometimes multiple things -- and I've got to resolve immediate issues and often come up with alternative plans on the fly, while keeping my deadline fully in sight. (Jeez, all of a sudden it feels like I'm patting myself on the back. Sorry, don't mean to.)

In any case, it dawned on me that I shouldn't be surprised it takes a fair amount of time to wind down. I spend all week building up to this day; I pull together all the threads of what I've done since Monday and, together with a page designer and a handful of copy editors, weave it into a tangible product reflecting my editorial vision and judgments for that week.

On Sunday I'll make time to post something that helps explain why I was at the office so late night ... and why I'm detoxing now at this late hour.

Cartoon: Doug Savage

No comments:

Post a Comment