Friday, March 6, 2009

Good health or good luck?

So there I am, doing the crawl in the middle of three lanes at the Northeast Community Center pool. At just after six in the morning, it's not surprising that I have the lane to myself. There are three people in the water; sometimes I have the pool to myself if I time it right.

Midstroke, my mind wanders from how many laps I've done to whatever drifts into my consciousness. Today, it's all about health and health care.

No need for a lengthy screed here. All I want to say is that, in a country as rich as ours, universal health care is something we all deserve and something we all should pay for, whether through private or government insurance. I'm one of the fortunate, working for an employer who provides generous insurance benefits.

I also consider myself fortunate from the standpoint of being extraordinarily healthy. I've never had a broken bone, never had major surgery, don't have any chronic diseases, don't even take prescription medicine. I have no allergies, I skip the annual flu shots and seem to take maybe two sick days a year. I run, I swim and occasionally (not often enough) I lift weights.

On the nutrition side, I'm fortunate to be married to a personal trainer who knows -- and reminds me -- about eating right. Chicken and fish dominate my diet these days, compared to the beefy, cheesy dishes I grew up on. Do I still eat too many sweets? Of course.

My point? I realize I'm very lucky to be able to have this early-morning routine. If my insurance benefits disappeared tomorrow, of course I could still run (although at some point my knees and ankles will say "no mas"). But having the luxury of heated pool and hot shower isn't easily replaced.

Should health care in America depend on who you work for? I don't think so. My good health is partly the result of my own routine and diet, but it's also got something to do with the comfort and security of knowing I can see a doctor or get a medical treatment without going broke. We all deserve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment