Monday, March 16, 2009

Music to soothe the soul


As much as I enjoy music, there are two things I can't do: sing or play a musical instrument.

So it's nice to have at least one family member who does them both -- and does them well. Saturday night, Lori and I attended a concert presented by Consonare Chorale, a coed group of 30 singers made up of adults, young and old, from the Portland-Vancouver area. Our daughter Simone is an alto who's been singing since elementary school and who also plays violin and piano.

I'm one of those people who couldn't define clef, octave or pitch if my life depended on it. Nor could I tell you the difference between an A, C or D note. But I do enjoy the emotional release that comes from hearing a group of different voices blending together in the joy of song. Directed by Georgina Philippson, a redhead who defines vivacious, the choral group presented a program called "Reflections at the Water’s Edge."

It was a lovely evening, with all of the songs tied to the theme of water. Simone was part of a quartet that was featured during the song "Down to the River to Pray."

Consonare's next concert is May 30 at Parkrose United Methodist Church. Listen to some song samples here.

No comments:

Post a Comment