Sunday, March 8, 2009

The satisfaction of following through

Quick weather note: With the arrival of Daylight Savings Time came an overnight dusting of snow. It's melting now, but after two decades of living in Portland, I don't remember seeing snow on the ground (even this little bit) anywhere close to the start of spring...

Sunday morning brings to mind thoughts of faith and forgiveness. But in the hour or so that I've been up, I've been thinking about follow-through. Some people get cheesed off by others' lack of punctuality or manners, their choice of language or messiness. I can understand that. But for me, it's someone saying he or she is going to do something and then not following through that gets under my skin. This is how it goes:

"Let me look into that and I'll get back to you."

"Yeah, let's do lunch sometime."

"We should really do (fill in the blank)."

"Yes, I know that needs to be cleaned up/moved/put away, etc."


Days, weeks go by and you find yourself waiting and waiting. No follow-through.

Now, I understand that people are busy. Heck, I look at myself and wonder how so many things got onto my plate. (That's a topic for another day: saying no.)

But, knowing that I can be just as guilty as anyone else, let me resolve to start off this new week with a fresh commitment to following through. It may not seem like much -- tossing out the leftovers, putting the vacuum cleaner in its rightful spot, sending a get-well card, inviting a friend to coffee, taking the next step in making arrangements for a family reunion -- but each little act brings its own reward: the satisfaction of following through.

No comments:

Post a Comment