Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Music I can't live without


A friend tagged me with a note on Facebook, asking me to name the 10 songs I cannot live without, songs that I can play over and over everyday and not get sick of them. Only 10? That's a challenge, for sure, but here's my list in no particular order:

"My Girl," The Temptations. This was my older sister's favorite song in the mid-Sixties and it's become one of mine. Classic Motown, with great vocals by David Ruffin and sweet, simple lyrics.

"When You Say Nothing at All," Alison Krauss and Union Station. One of the first songs I heard by this blueglass star, who has become my favorite artist. The clarity of her voice and the opening lines get me every time:
It's amazing how you can speak straight to my heart
Without saying a word you can light up the dark
"Statesboro Blues," The Allman Brothers Band. If any song captures my college years, it's this one, with superb slide guitars. I still remember one Saturday morning when a roommate and I moved giant speakers into the room of our other roommate, who was sound asleep after partying all night. We turned the volume on high and set the needle down (yes, it was vinyl then) and he just about had a heart attack.

"Yesterday," The Beatles. Paul McCartney at his best. Is there any wonder this is the most popular karaoke song?

"Have I Told You Lately," Van Morrison. One of the great singers spanning five decades. "Moondance" or "Into the Mystic" could have made my list, too, but it's hard to beat the passion in these lyrics:
Have I told you lately that I love you
Have I told you there's no-one above you
"Dreams," Fleetwood Mac. The super band of the Seventies. All their best songs, IMHO, were those featuring Stevie Nicks.

"In State," Kathleen Edwards. She might fly under the radar of a lot of people, but she caught my attention one night on "Austin City Limits." She's from Ottawa, Canada, and I've seen her in concert twice. Here's a video.

"One Time One Night," Los Lobos. These dudes from East L.A. just rock, whether singing in English or Spanish. I saw them early in their career in Ann Arbor, Michigan, of all places. Give a listen.

"Gonna Move," Susan Tedeschi. No one does contemporary blues better than Susan. She's a triple threat: songwriter, singer and electric guitar player. Just saw her in concert promoting her newest CD.

"Do It Again," Steely Dan. OK, so I'm dating myself. Still, this first track from the band's first album is a classic.

That's 10, but here's a bonus selection.

"A Real Fine Place to Start," Sara Evans. I've made a handful of work-related visits to Nashville and, unlikely as it seems, have grown to enjoy certain country artists. Consider this one a guilty pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment