Friday, January 15, 2010

More on Deborah

Today would have been Deborah Howell's 69th birthday. As I write this, memorial services are being held for her at The National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.

Deborah died in an accident while on vacation in New Zealand earlier this month. Friends and family have organized memorials for her in D.C. and Minneapolis, the two places she spent most of her professional life, and also established a scholarship fund in her name at her alma mater, the University of Texas.

After I wrote about her on my blog, I came across many other wonderful tributes to this remarkable woman. If you didn't know her, reading either of these pieces will give you a better sense of my friend and colleague.

"The Editor Everyone Should Have Had," by David Carr of The New York Times.

"My tortured journey to becoming Deborah Howell's friend," by Tim McGuire, former editor of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

No comments:

Post a Comment